- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bob Jones University, Greenville, South Carolina 2000, Cum Laude
- Master’s of Science in Nursing, Grand Valley State University, 2010
- Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner through American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
What is a Nurse Practitioner (NP)
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse (RN) who has gone on to complete a Masters degree in nursing in a specialty area. Nurse pracititioners are licensed independently but act in collaboration with physicans when seeing patients. NPs can:
- perform histories and physical examinations
- direct health maintenance
- manage acute and stable chronic illnesses
- provide health counseling
- facilitate hospital Emergency Department admissions
- consult or refer to other health care providers
- prescribe medications
- order lab and/or x-rays
- act as a patient advocate
Role/duties at Grand Valley Medical Specialists
Cathy’s role in the office is as a physician extender. She provides services to enhance your physician’s care of you. She is qualified and trained to function independently but sees patients at the request of your physican and then provides them feedback on any care that she provides. The main settings in which she sees patients are as follows:
- Walk in patients who have a need for medical evaluation and treatment for acute problems. Cathy provides this service as much as her time and schedule permit. Although we cannot promise to be able to provide service for everyone who comes to the office with an acute problem, GVMS is pleased to be able to provide this service on an as available basis.
- Scheduled patients needing to be seen for an acute problem in a short time frame (i.e. 1-2 days). This is usually for acute illnesses and injuries, etc.
- Evaluating and performing histories and physical examinations and admission orders in the Emergency Department.
Cathy has practiced as an RN in Cardiovascular, Thoracic, and Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU) before becoming a Nurse Practitioner. She is married with four wonderful children. She enjoys homeschooling, day trips, running, and tennis with her husband.