- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing, Ferris State University 2004
- Master’s of Science in Nursing, Michigan State University 2011
- Orthopaedic Nurse Certification (ONC) from the National Association of Orthopedic Nurses (NAON)
- Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner through American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC)
What is a Nurse Practitioner (NP)
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse (RN) who has gone on to complete a Masters degree in nursing in a specialty area. Nurse pracititioners are licensed independently but act in collaboration with physicians when seeing patients. NPs can:
- perform histories and physical examinations
- direct health maintenance
- manage acute and stable chronic illnesses
- provide health counseling
- facilitate hospital Emergency Department admissions
- consult or refer to other health care providers
- prescribe medications
- order lab and/or x-rays
- act as a patient advocate
Role/duties at Grand Valley Medical Specialists
Emily’s role in the office is as a physician extender. She provides services to enhance your physician’s care of you. She is qualified and trained to function independently but sees patients at the request of your physician and then provides them feedback on any care that she provides. The main settings in which she sees patients are as follows:
- Walk in patients who have a need for medical evaluation and treatment for acute problems. Heidi provides this service as much as her time and schedule permit. Although we cannot promise to be able to provide service for everyone who comes to the office with an acute problem, GVMS is pleased to be able to provide this service on an as available basis.
- Scheduled patients needing to be seen for an acute problem in a short time frame (i.e. 1-2 days). This is usually for acute illnesses and injuries, etc.
- Evaluating and performing histories and physical examinations and admission orders in the Emergency Department.
Emily grew up in Traverse City, Michigan. Attended nursing school at Ferris State University and moved to Grand Rapids after obtaining BSN. She worked as an orthopedic nurse at Blodgett hospital at the Center for Joint Replacement for six years. She completed her MSN degree at MSU while working at Blodgett the last three years. She is married and has a daughter, born in June 2011. She enjoys sports and spending time with family and friends.