- Nursing Diploma: Bronson School of Nursing, Kalamazoo, MI (RN, ’98)
- Undergraduate: Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI (BSN, ’02)
- Nurse Practioner Degree: Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI (MSN, ’05)
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau (International Nursing Honor Society)
- Member, Grand Rapids Nurse Practitioner Journal Club
- MICNP (Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners)
- Orthopaedic Nurse Certification (ONC) from the National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses (NAON)
- Board Certified Nurse Practitioner thru American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
What is a Nurse Practitioner (NP)
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse (RN) who has gone on to complete a Masters degree in nursing in a specialty area. Nurse pracititioners are licensed independently but act in collaboration with physicans when seeing patients. NPs can:
- perform histories and physical examinations
- direct health maintenance
- manage acute and stable chronic illnesses
- provide health counseling
- facilitate hospital Emergency Department admissions
- consult or refer to other health care providers
- prescribe medications
- order lab and/or x-rays
- act as a patient advocate
Role/duties at Grand Valley Medical Specialists
Joyce’s role in the office is as a physician extender. She provides services to enhance your physician’s care of you. She is qualified and trained to function independently but sees patients at the request of your physican and then provides them feedback on any care that she provides. The main settings in which she sees patients are as follows:
- Walk in patients who have a need for medical evaluation and treatment for acute problems. Joyce provides this service as much as her time and schedule permit. Although we cannot promise to be able to provide service for everyone who comes to the office with an acute problem, GVMS is pleased to be able to provide this service on an as available basis.
- Scheduled patients needing to be seen for an acute problem in a short time frame (i.e. 1-2 days). This is usually for acute illnesses and injuries, etc.
- Evaluating and performing histories and physical examinations and admission orders in the Emergency Department.
Joyce grew up in Paw Paw, MI. She attended nursing school at Bronson School of Nursing in Kalamazoo. She moved to Grand Rapids in 1998 and worked as an orthopaedic nurse at Spectrum Health-Blodgett for seven years while attending GVSU and obtaining her undergraduate then graduate degree. Joyce is married to Greg and they have a son. Her hobbies include outdoor activities, camping, reading, and spending time with her family and friends.